Here are the match reports for the underage games played last weekend. 

U15 Premier: ROCK Celtic 4-1 Donacarney

Wednesday October 10 2012

Seasiders Don’ good despite early blow.
ROCK Celtic recovered quickly from an early Donacarney goal to run out comfortable winners in this U-15 Division 1 clash on Saturday.

After a spell of sustained pressure Alan Smith levelled matters and the seasiders then took control in the second half with an early goal from Chris Williams from a free kick which deceived the unlucky Donacarney goalkeeper.

With Ben Mooney outstanding in goals, Conor Boyle, Killian Dempsey, Caolain O’Sullivan and Man of the Match Niall Campbell in defence, Rock were very strong and there was no way through for the energetic Donacarney forwards.

Chris Williams, Jeff McGowan, Craig Bannon and Feidhelm Joyce took control of midfield with Peter Farrelly and Andrew Lynch causing Donacarney constant problems with their wing play.

After more Rock pressure a clever move involving Campbell, Bannon and Smith resulted in the energetic O’Sullivan shooting home from close range to make it 3-1.

Ciaran Fee came on to partner Smith up front and made an immediate impact forcing a corner which was headed home by the captain, Conor Boyle, to the delight of his team mates.

In truth Rock had other chances with Lynch, Dempsey and Williams going close. The Rock ‘keeper, Ben Mooney, snuffed out any chances that the opposition created in the second half, but overall it was a well deserved victory and three points for Rock Celtic. 

Under 12 Premier : Rock Celtic 3 – 1 Bay Utd

These teams met 3 times last season including the cup final with Bay having the upper hand. Therefore, this result was surely sweet music for the Rock lads.

Right from the first whistle Rock Celtic demonstrated their hunger for revenge & created a number of clear cut chances. However, some inspired goalkeeping by the Bay netminder kept the game scoreless at half time. Early in the second half the Seasiders made a statement of intent with 2 superb team moves that saw the Bay keeper again make 2 wonderful saves. Surely it was only a matter of time before the breakthrough. Then another move started at the back resulted in the ball arriving at the feet of Josh Connolly who found himself one on one with the keeper. There was only ever going to be one outcome. One nil to the Rock. This inspired the lads on and shortly after another 3 man move led to Oran O’Hanlon finding space out on the left. He cooly cut inside & placed the ball past the keeper into the far corner. As was expected Bay pushed forward & a fortunate deflection resulted in the ball falling at the feet of the Bay striker who struck the ball to the back of the net. This setback spurred the seasiders on again & led to them putting some superb passing moves together. The Bay defence were all over the shop such was the movement of the Rock team. It was only a matter of time before the Bay defence was breached again. Some super link up play between Conor, Luke & Ciaran resulted in the ball being played through to Josh who drew the defender to him. He then played a perfect through ball to Oran who clinically hit a first time shot across the keeper to the back of the net. 3 -1 & game over. Further advances by the Bay team were easily repelled by the Rock lads & in the end it was a very easy victory for the home team.

Tayo in goals dealt easily with anything that came his way & is developing into a very useful keeper. There was a dominant defensive display & in a backline marshalled by Luke together with Kevin, Paul, Finn & Conal they easily repelled the offensive efforts of the opposition attackers. In midfield, Conor, Jack, Ciaran, Richie, Edward & James were in total control & they dictated the pace of the game. Up front the strength & guile of Josh together with the smart running of Oran & Aaron didn’t give the Bay defence a minutes peace.

It’s onwards & upwards now for this quickly improving group of players.

U13 Division 1: Rockville 1 – 4 Ardee

Rockille ended the game empty handed despite a truly heroic display against probably the strongest team in the league. The final score was not a true reflection on the game itself. All the early pressure was applied by the seasiders with Donal Johnston tormenting the Ardee left full back every time he received the ball. This led to numerous chances, with Cillian Mullen unfortunate to find the Ardee keeper & defenders in inspired form on a few occasions. Despite creating the better chances Rockville were caught by a sucker punch after 20 minutes when Ardee broke away & with their first meaningful attack managed to take the lead. A well struck shot was saved brilliantly by Loui Byrne but the rebound fell kindly to the Ardee centre forward who had the simple task of rolling the ball to the net. Further chances were created by the Rock lads but to no avail. They went in at half time trailing by a goal to nil. The second half saw Ardee try to stamp their authority on the game but true to form the Rock boys repelled their advances. Then, 10 minutes into the 2nd half a really well struck shot by an Ardee forward gave Loui no chance, 2 – nil. Rock continued to press on but were caught on the break again. A free kick was awarded to Ardee on the edge of the box & when the ball was crossed, the Ardee centre back rose unchallenged at the back post & despite being miles offside, the referee allowed the goal stand. Unfazed by this latest setback the seasiders went on the offensive again & when John Hayden picked up the ball deep in his own half he decided to run at the Ardee team. He ran & he ran & went past at least six Ardee defenders before coolly putting the ball over the keeper’s head into the far corner. Then as they pressed on again the Rock boys were caught on the break. A seemingly perfect challenge by Ronan Baldwin was deemed a foul & the referee harshly awarded a free kick that what expertly dispatched to the net by the Ardee free taker. 

There was a brilliant performance by Loui in goals. Then we had a super defensive display by Ronan assisted by Mark Gaughran, Jack Norden & Senan Duffy & in the second half Oisin Hughes & Conor Johnston. There were also an outstanding displays in midfield from John Hayden, Luke Hoban, Mark Hilliard, Jordan Tryanor, Donal Johnston & Rioghan Murphy. And finally up front Cillian Mullen had the Ardee defence in all sorts of disarray with his mazy runs & so too Daniel Bryant when he was introduced. An improved performance by all & extremely hard to believe that we got nothing from the game.

U11 Premier: Rock Celtic 1 – 1 Muirhevnamore

On Saturday last, Sandy Lane was the venue for a hard fought contest between these two teams. The Rock lads were up for this game straight from the referees whistle and were certainly on top for most of the first half. Playing upfront, Mark Durkin and Patrick Mullen caused many problems for the Muirhevnamor defence and were unlucky not to register the opening goal after 10 minutes. Rock continued to pile on the pressure with Declan Curtain displaying some great skill down the left wing. Donal Leavy and Josh Hanna were in control of the middle of the park while Adam Gartlan made some great runs down the right wing. Despite all the pressure from the Rock team, it was Muirhevnamor who broke the deadlock 15 minutes into the game. A long ball from midfield beat the Rock defence and fell to the feet of the Muirhevnamor striker who made it 1 – 0. From the restart, the visitors created a number of chances but the Rock defence of Cillian Duffy, Neil McQuillian and the outstanding Jack Donohue kept them at bay. This Rock team showed their character, fought their way back into the game and within 5 mins were back level again. A goal mouth scramble resulted in a half clearance by the visitors but the ball fell to Declan Curtain who blasted the ball to the back of the net.


Rock made changes at half time – introducing Charlie Murdock up front and slotted Shane Mullen into defence. Connor Casey moved into midfield and Donal Leavy took charge of the centre of defence. The second half was a more balanced game with chanced created at both ends. Sean Maguire and Alex Kieran came on to strengthen the Rock attack and worked hard up front and in midfield respectively. Half way through the second half, Rock were celebrating, what looked like a perfectly good goal, by Declan Curtain but the referee blew the whistle to deny the home team the lead. A man of the match performance by Jack Donohue ensured Rock a share of the points. The game ended 1 – 1, best for Rock were Jack Donohue, Neil McQuillian and Declan Curtain.    


Under 10 Premier: Ardee 1 – 0 Rock Celtic

It was a long journey home with lots of time for the management to reflect on how they lost this game. Having kicked off the game, a brief lack of concentration by the Rock lads led to an easy turnover of possession & before they knew it they were a goal down after just 15 seconds. Jack in goals had no chance with the goal & as it transpired taking the ball from the back of the net was to be one of the few touches he was to have for the remainder of the game as the onslaught began.  Driven on by Josh Hanna in the engine room, the seasiders completely dominated the next 39 minutes. Chances aplenty fell to Mark Gallagher, Mark Leavy, Josh, Fiachra & Dara & but for some desperate last ditch defending & some outstanding goalkeeping it would have been an other “w” in the win column. Alas it wasn’t to be & the game was perfeclty summed up when in the last couple of minutes the Ardee keeper made 3 remarkable saves in the space of 60 seconds, the last of which saw him somehow deflect a goalbound effort out for a corner with an outstretched leg. Such was the pressure asserted on the Ardee goal at times it looked like the keeper was hailing a cab.  Jack in goals together with Adam, Jamie, Cillian, Gavin & Eoin in defence dealt easily with the odd threat that came their way & will surely have far busier days ahead of them. In the middle of the park Josh covered every blade of grass & ably assisted by Mark G, Steve, Fiachra, Layo & Dara led wave after wave of attacks. Up front Mark L, Conor & Senan caused problems galore for the Ardee defence. It’s hard to believe that despite such a dominant display the Rock left empty-handed.