ROCK CELTIC kept on the tail of the leaders with Kevin McArdle chalking up another goal to bring his tally to six in four games at the Junction on Sunday afternoon in the Premier
Division of the Meath and District League.

The winners showed fairly clinical finishing in the opening half to go in three nil ahead, snapping up the three chances that came their way.

The first arrived on ten minutes when a great move by Rock saw a cross from the right by Kevin McArdle being turned into his own net by a home defender.

Rock doubled their lead ten minutes later. David McGeough won the ball in mid-field for Mark McGeown to set up Gerard McSorley who took a touch before shooting to the net.

McSorley grabbed his second and his side’s third goal. Good work by Kevin McArdle and Mark McGeown saw the young winger’s shot take a deflection and enter the net.

The scoring chances dried up in the second half, as Rock held firm in defence, despite losing Aaron Mulligan through injury in the first-half and David McGeough coming off at the break.

But McArdle kept his scoring run going five minutes from the end. He swung in a free-kick for teammate Mark McGeown to help deceive the home goalkeeper by stepping over the ball.

For their part, Dean McLoughlin had the best of Dromin United’s chances and Darren Noone shot just over the crossbar on one occasion, but against a side like Rock they needed to have a stronger team out to have a chance of causing an upset. DROMIN UNITED: Tommy Melia, Carl Martin, Robbie Gaffney, Fintan Clarke, Darragh McKeown (Wayne Campbell), Ger Conlon, Patrick Duff, Michael McKeown, Sean Crosbie, Dean McLoughlin, Darren Noone (Conor McCullough 46). ROCK CELTIC: John Rogers, Conor McDonnell, Sean Waters, Aaron Mulligan (Ciaran Clarke), Conor Rafferty, Cormac McArdle, David McGeough (Paddy Reilly), Paul Gore, Kevin McArdle, Mark McGeown. -Rock Celtic cruised into the semi-finals of the Kilmessan Shield with a 5-0 win over First Division opponents Ardee Celtic at Sandy Lane last Wednesday night.

The seasiders had their passage wrapped up before the interval, with all five goals coming in the first half through Chris Lawless, Mark McGeown, Gerard McSorley, Sean Waters and Kevin McArdle.

To their credit Ardee made it much more difficult for the hosts after the break, restricting them to few scoring openings and avoiding the concession of another goal, although they ended the match with 10 players as substitute Robbie Coyle replaced their injured goalkeeper between the posts late in the tie.

Original Article